X-Architects from Dubai SMAQ from Berline have come to a design of a complex for sustainable living. The complex called the Xeritown is designed for the intention of having a more sustainable mode of development. The complex may have a classic designed, it aims to have a people oriented lifestyle and to minimize energy consumption. X-Architects as the lead consultant, in collaboration with SMAQ (Berlin), Johannes Grothaus with Partners Landscape Architects (Potsdam/Dubai), with the renderings of LeBalto, Marc Pouzol, Reflexion (Zurich) Buri Happold (London/Dubai), and with the commissioner and developer Dubai Properties, the project aims to conserve ecological resources like water, soil, flora and fauna to enhance the bio-diversity.
Xeritown is located in Dubailand, a new extension of the city towards the inland desert. Instead of considering the site as a Tabula Rasa “Xeritown” takes the desert and local climate as a context within which the urban form emerges by working with the natural environment instead of against it.
The project Xeritown aims are:
– to consider environmental conditions (wind, sun, humidity) as generators of the urban form,
– to integrate landscape, architecture and infrastructure in one system where all the parts collaborate to create a socially rich environment,
– to consider sustainable design as an approach that permeates the entire design process, and not as simply finding technical solutions in the final phases,
– to encourage a pedestrian-orientated lifestyle in a city which is strongly car-oriented and minimize energy consumption through active and passive means at an urban level as well as user level,
– to conserve ecological resources like water, soil, flora and fauna to enhance the bio-diversity.