China has been known to have a polluted air for many years now. However, their courage of building an eco-friendly Olympic village will definitely change the image of China as the main contributor to our green house gases. They have used various eco friendly materials and processes to run the Olympic village. One sample of it is the hot water used by the athletes are all solar powered. Buildings are also using earth friendly materials like ethylene tetrafluoroethylene or the ETFE, and some green tech such as the solar heating, solar hot water, and the solar thermoelectric cogeneration. I am sure, through this sep made by China, there will be a big chance for them to be the most eco friendly country.
1. Beijing National Stadium – Bird’s Nest
Home of both the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, this stadium will also feature the track and field and soccer events. With roughly 11,000 in temporary seating arrangements for the Olympics, it will have 80,000 permanent seats. Dubbed the Bird’s Nest, the structure takes on the appearance of a nest as interwoven structural elements of the facade camouflage the structure underneath. Beijing National Stadium was designed by a consortium of Herzog & de Meuron Architekten AG, Arup Sports, and China Architectural Design and Research Group. The Bird’s Nest is supposed to gather roughly 70% of the water needed to run the facility.
2. Beijing National Aquatics Center
Also known as Water Cube, the National Aquatics Center was designed to resemble a cube of water, or bubbles. The bubbles are made of a transparent plastic called ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (or ETFE) which is filled with air and attached to a steel frame surrounding the edge of the bubble. The Water Cube is expected to be 30% more energy efficient than a standard building of similar size. The building takes on different colors from LED lights, which are super efficient. Water Cube was designed by Arup, PTW, and China State Construction and Engineering Corporations.
Our Recommended Partners
Popular Green Designs
- Proxima Two Seater Hybrid Vehicle
- Nice Objects From Waste Materials
- PODHouse : Sustainable Micro Home by ROB
- Tupperware Lamps: Gives Your Old Tupperware Dishes A New Life
- Unit Fusion High-rise Residential Building Concept Can Be The Newest Eco-friendly Building In Hong K...
- DIY Ferris Wheel Toy Made Out of Recycled Material
- WashUp, Don’t Waste Your Water After Washing
- The Power Suit Tote Bag From Cleverscene
- Beautiful Creations Made From Recycled Bottle Caps
- The Eco-friendly Remote Control Design For Sony
- Cars and Transportation
- Cell Phone
- Design and Concept
- Food and Drink
- Free Eco Gift
- Home and Kitchen
- Interior Design
- Personal Computer
- Product Reviews
- Solar Energy
- Toys and Games